AUSTEN’S INCOMES: HOW MUCH WAS MR. DARCY WORTH?
What the incomes of the people in Jane Austen´s books are worth today :)
i entered the amounts into an american inflation calculator…in 2013 terms… it’s basically double the 1988 amounts…
Using the same UK National Archives Currency Converter, the 2005 (most recent possible date) equivalent for these characters is listed below, based on the incomes/fortunes determined above.
(view table in new tab to zoom)
For what it’s, er, worth: Jane Austen was paid the following amounts for her books (according to the DNB), provided with their modern-day equivalents:
- £110 for the copyright to P&P — £3,735 in 2005 sterling;
- £320 profit for Mansfield Park — £10,867;
- £140 ‘beside the copyright’ for S&S — £4,754;
- ‘A shocking initial loss of £182 8s. 3d. was set against profits of Emma (£231 1s. 3d.), leaving Austen in her lifetime only £48 13s. to show for her finest novel’ — a profit of £1,652.15;
- Overall: ‘she received something over £631, perhaps as much as £668. It was insufficient for her to support herself by writing’ — for grand, lifetime total profit of not more than £22,685.28.